The RoboCup Soccer Simulator
Soccer Simulator is a tool for Secondary School pupils to understand artificial intelligence.
Introduction to AI programming as simulation software
The Robocup Soccer Simulator is an established introduction to artificial intelligence software, using the laws of physics to control a simulated game of soccer played out by two or more computers. The simulator attempts to reproduce the software programming challenges faced by developers when building real physical robots.
Using this application will provide students with a real world insight into IT industry use of AI to simulate human interaction within a computer programming environment. Knowledge gained would provide a useful springboard to further education and university level IT courses.
Hardware requirements, network
• Supported operating systems: Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP
• Mac OSX 10 or above
• Linux – server
This software can be run on individual workstations. However, much more can be achieved with a server.
ICT curriculum uses and referencing
• Perfect for the 2012 programming initiative announced by Michael Gove.
• KS3 POS: 2.2 (all) 2.2 (b and c), 2.4 (a and b)
• KS4 POS: 2.2 (all) 2.2 (b and c), 2.4 (a and b)
Possible teaching activities and cross curricular use
• Develop an awareness of AI in programming
• Develop an awareness of AI in simulations and modelling
• Enter AI based competitions