Create and share a number of items on Scratch (for KS3).
Visual Programming Application
A highly interactive and engaging visual programming interface which can be used to create games, interactive stories, simulations, music and art. This software is ideal for differentiated ICT teaching and learning in KS3.
Scratch helps pupils learn important mathematical and IT concepts whilst also learning to think creatively, systematically and collaboratively.
Scratch was developed by and is supported by MIT, Microsoft and Intel.
Hardware requirements, network
• Mac OSX 10.4 or later
• Windows 2000, XP, Vista, and 7
• Ubuntu version 9.04 and later
• A VGA graphics card capable of high (16 bit) color and 1024x768 resolution (3D video card recommended)
• A sound card
This software needs to run on individual workstations. However, there are no issues saving to shared fileservers.
ICT curriculum uses and referencing
• Perfect for the 2012 programming initiative announced by Michael Gove.
• KS3 POS: 1.3 (a and b) 2.2 (b and c), 2.4 (a,b,and c)
• KS4 POS: 1.3 (a and b) 2.2 (b and c), 2.4 (a,b,and c)
Possible teaching activities and cross curricular use
• Create animated movies.
• Create simple interactive games.
• Create presentations and simulations.
• Create simple modelled environments.
• Create shoot-em-up style games.