Software that teaches the basis of computer sciences, through programming a robot, from RoboMind.net
Programming software suitable for KS3
Robomind is a great introduction to real programming. The interface is attractive and intuitive and allows KS3 students to pick up computer science principles quickly and effectively. The program allows pupils to program their own virtual robot. The commands are in the ROBO language, a simplified version of the industry standard language ‘C’. Artificial intelligence and robotics can be expanded upon and there is great scope for moving on to more complex software after using Robomind.
The application is free and works well on school networks. Ideal for programming in Year 7.
Hardware requirements, network
This software needs to run on individual workstations. However, there are no issues saving to shared fileservers.
ICT curriculum uses and referencing
• Perfect for the 2012 programming initiative announced by Michael Gove.
• KS3 POS: 1.3 (a and b) 2.2 (b and c), 2.4 (a,b,and c)
• KS4 POS: 1.3 (a and b) 2.2 (b and c), 2.4 (a,b,and c)
Possible teaching activities and cross curricular use
• Programming in Y7
• Introduction to artificial intelligence
• Command a virtual robot.
• Learn a simplified version of the C programming language