Pivot Stick Animator
Simple site to create animations using stick figures for Secondary School Teachers and Pupils.
Free stick figure animation program. Great for KS3
Pivot is a free program which allows pupils to create stick figure animations. The interfact is simple and intuitive but still allows for lengthy and complex animations. The software is ideal for teaching to mixed ability groups and offers a lot of scope for differentiated activities.
Stick-figure animations are easy to create. Pupils can also create and load their own backgrounds. The animations can be saved as animated gifs or flash to be used on web pages or import into professional grade video editing applications such as Premiere, Avid or Vegas. The application allows for large canvases – so it is entirely possible to use this app to create professional grade animations which can be outputted to HD or Blu-Ray.
There is an extensive range of examples and teacher tutorials.
Hardware requirements, network
• Pivot will run on any version of Windows from 98 onwards. There are no additional requirements. Adequate RAM may be required for long animations.
This software needs to run on individual workstations. However, there are no issues saving to shared fileservers.
ICT curriculum uses and referencing
• Perfect for the 2012 programming initiative announced by Michael Gove.
• KS3 POS: 1.3 (a and b) 2.2 (b and c), 2.4 (a,b,and c)
• KS4 POS: 1.3 (a and b) 2.2 (b and c), 2.4 (a,b,and c)
• Cross curricular – Art, DT, Media Studies, English (Film)
Possible teaching activities and cross curricular use
• Create animations.
• Create titles for film projects.