A set of office software from OpenOffice.org for Primary and Secondary School Teachers and Pupils.
Free ‘Office’ style suite.
Open office is a free ‘Office’ style set of applications. These include a word processor, desktop publisher, spreadsheet, database, maths equation solver, presentation software and a draw package. The package will open and save to numerous common file formats, including Microsoft Office and Adobe Adcrobat.
There is an extensive community support group for advice and software development. The main advantage of using Open Office is the reduction in cost which will result from not having to purchase and renew volume licenses from Microsoft – which can account for a significant percentage of any given school’s ICT budget.
OpenOffice.org is completely free of any licence fees and can be installed on as many PCs as you like. It can be passed free of charge to family, friends, students, employees, etc.
Hardware requirements, network
• Windows (2000, XP, 2003, Vista, 7)
• GNU/Linux (x86 and x86-64, RPM and DEB based Linux distributions)
• Solaris (x86 and Sparc)
• Mac OS X (x86 and PowerPC)
This software can be fully networked.
ICT curriculum uses and referencing
• All areas
Possible teaching activities and cross curricular use
• Replace MS Office .
• Use on an unlimited number of computers for free.
• Allows pupils to replicate the software they use at school, at home, for free.
• Can be stored on a school’s VLE for download..