A free, safe online tool where pupils can connect with others (from other schools) that teachers can moderate.
Free moderated secure email facility for schools
Epals.com is a free resource which allows teachers to set up virtual classrooms where each pupil has a secure moderated email address. All emails, incoming and outgoing pass through the teacher first and only other epals email addresses can be used by pupils. The system allows pupils, classes and schools to connect with each other, or other schools for national and international collaborative learning. The site features a database of schools and teachers looking for collaborative projects. Also, epals offers curriculum based projects where classes and pupils can work with pupils all over the world. There are very good opportunities to develop Language teaching, Geography and PSHE provision using this resource.
Hardware requirements, network
• Internet connection
• Video conferencing facilities (if required)
• All major browsers are compatible.
This software is cloud based.
ICT curriculum uses and referencing
• KS3 POS: 1.3 (a and b) 2.2 (b and c), 2.4 (a,b,and c)
• KS4 POS: 1.3 (a and b) 2.2 (b and c), 2.4 (a,b,and c)
• Languages, Geography, PHSE.
Possible teaching activities and cross curricular use
• Completely secure moderated email.
• Connect with classrooms all over the world.
• Participate in organised international projects.
• Use as penpal resource for language teaching.
• Video conferencing facilities.
• Ideal for school ‘twinning’.