British Gas Generation Green competition
Wednesday 13th March 2013
Work with a children’s author and illustrator
During March 2013, British Gas Generation Green is running an exciting new competition called The Powerful Story that gives you the opportunity to be really creative with your class and win a once in a lifetime opportunity to be published AND exhibited, all while learning about energy.
Generation Green is offering all Year 5 classes in England, Wales and Scotland the opportunity to work with children's author Ciaran Murtagh and illustrator Lee Cosgrove to create a story all about energy in the past, present and future.
Recent research amongst teachers and children has shown that UK school children have a strong desire to play an active role in solving major challenges that will affect the world's future, but that teachers rarely have the opportunity to talk about the world's future in the classroom. In addition, almost half of children aged 7-14 believe our biggest challenge is making sure we don't run out of energy.
That's why Generation Green wanted to create a nationwide storytelling competition about energy. They are giving children the opportunity to have their say about the future of energy and hope that by inspiring them to be curious about future energy challenges, we can help to create a generation of energy innovators.
- Up to four winning schools will be selected in each region, whose entries will be included in the finished book
- Every pupil and teacher in a winning class will receive a free copy of the finished book
- In addition, one champion school will be selected in each region, who will receive a special visit from Ciaran Murtagh
- And if that's not exciting enough, the book will also be turned into an exhibition at Eureka! The National Children's Museum in Halifax
- The exhibition will run from Saturday 25th May – Sunday 2nd June, and it will be free for you to visit.
The CLOSING DATE for entries is 6pm on Friday 29th March 2013.You can find the full details about the competition and how to enter at www.generationgreen.co.uk/powerfulstory